Thursday, October 4, 2012

The 100 year old cottage: Room by Room.


The dressing Room


I bought this painting at the night market in Laos, Luang Prabang and the timber frame was from an antique shop in the Barrossa Valley that I painted black. My favourite necklaces hand from an old gold hook along with the black Mala Beads found in Chang Mai.


Tim bought me this chest from a second hand shop, it was pink when we got it and I painted it with Porters lime wash paint. I then roughly painted gold and black flowers on the front. The jewellery box, Wedgewood clock and glass ware are all gifts from friends and family. I made the gold wooden box in wood work class in high school.


I can not believe this room was painted lolly pink with yellow lino flooring when we moved in.
What joy it gave me to pull up all of the lino and carpet to reveal Baltic Pine floors.
I found the old hospital bed at an antique store in Strathalbyn. The black step ladder is available from Serenity Nursery and converts into a chair. My talented friend Elisabeth Wood who made my wedding dress made these divine black Roman curtains to perfection. One of my bird in a nest paintings is displayed above the bed.



Tim and I spent a Saturday adhering a flocked white wall paper onto the chimney breast. It was a bit of a decorating nightmare...I then  painted all of the wall paper black. I have some remnants of the white wall paper rolled up in the fire place. It took me months to decide what to hang above the mantle piece and finally decided on an assortment of hanging hearts from Serenity Nursery. The photograph of twin sisters on the oval plaster hanger was probably bought at a garage sale.



The cornice, picture rail and ceiling rose that Alan Ruskin from Tailembend installed for us. He also did a great job plastering all of the ceiling and wall cracks..a blessing really.




A poodle teddy I picked up in Tuscan street market sits happily on the mantle piece.



A collection of different shaped objects including a life-drawing from my art school days.

No comments:

Post a Comment